Are you up for a little cannabis 101? Well, you have come to the right place. Here, we are going to discuss different facts about cannabis. Additionally, we are going to explain the basics of marijuana and the different aspects surrounding the plant. It is important to have an open mind when dealing with such substance. Many people view it as a negative thing where in fact, it offers a lot of helpful advantages and health benefits. Learning about this plant can open your life to new opportunities ad experiences that have yet to be discovered.
WHAT IS CANNABIS? WHAT IS MARIJUANA?
Marijuana is a substance that is known to be consumed for its psychoactive effects. Because of such, many countries have deemed it an illegal drug due to the possibility of substance abuse. Marijuana is known by many other names such as weed, ganja, pot, dope, grass, or Mary Jane. It is the harvested and dried up product that comes from the cannabis plant. Many people tend to interchange the meanings of these two terms.
Based on several reports, cannabis is the most harvested agricultural product ever. People use the drug mainly for either recreational purposes or medical treatments. As for its cultivation, cannabis plants tend to flourish in hot and sunny climates. There are three main species of cannabis plants: the cannabis indica, sativa, and ruderalis. Each of them garners different plant structures, flowering periods, and even effects. Here are the different species of cannabis:
- Sativa – Known for energizing and uplifting highs. Its plant structure is tall and lanky with finger-like leaves that spread out.
- Indica – These offer a more relaxing and “stoned” feeling that is perfect for chilling out. Unlike the sativa, it produces a compact and dense plant that is short and stout.
- Ruderalis – This is a small plant with popcorn-like buds. What makes it famous is the gene that gives the ability to autoflower. This means that it is capable of producing flowers and buds with minimal amounts of light.
HISTORY OF CANNABIS
The discovery of cannabis dates back to around 4000 BC when early settlers and civilizations would harvest hemp for its nutrition, medical uses, and weaving of cloths and rugs. Reports suggest the cannabis plant first originated in Central Asia where the climate was warm and the days were long and sunny. This gave rise to the adaptation of cannabis plants to heat.
As the climates travelled, so too did the cannabis plant. After a while, cannabis plants started sprouting in the Indian subcontinent and eventually established itself in Eastern Europe where people started using it for rituals and other events. It would continue to be used by communities until the present day where stricter rules regarding its utilization govern it.
MEDICAL USES AND RECREATIONAL EFFECTS
As with any other substance in the world, cannabis is known to have both a good side and a bad side. While it has some recreational benefits and medical uses, there are some inherent risks that come with its consumption. It is important to understand how cannabis works in our bodies first before rushing to smoke some. Here are some of the medical uses that cannabis has to offer:
- Helps relieve chronic pain
- Reduces levels of mental illnesses like depression, PTS, ADHD, and anxiety
- Helps treat side effects experienced when undergoing chemotherapy
- Slows down development and kills cancer cells
- Treatment for multiple sclerosis
- Reduces the number of seizures experienced
As for the recreational effects that people look for:
- Relaxing and calming effects on the mind and body
- Locks you in a state of “couch-lock” for many hours
- Pleasant flavors and smells
- Uplifting moods
- Happy thoughts
- Boosts of energy
- Increased appetite
- Giggles and laughter
For more information about all things cannabis, feel free to browse and purchase our product. Our complete guide to marijuana tackles all the topics about this wonderful plant.